Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Grateful at 30

It's a little hard to believe that I just turned 30. It feels like yesterday I was rehearsing at my dance studio 6 days a week and heading to the beach with my best girlfriends on Sunday for a little South Florida sunshine, Uncle Luke blaring on the radio, and a Power smoothie as a reward for our hard work tanning. Oh the priorities of a high schooler... was that really over ten years ago?!

Things have changed quite a bit since then! As I reflect on the last decade or so, I realize how much I've grown and how much I've learned about life, friendship, relationships, communication, health, and being a new parent. I acknowledge and feel proud that I have found confidence in the inner depths of my being that I didn't know existed. This confidence allowed me to take the leap of faith to move to a new state and continue my education. This confidence allowed me to end a long relationship that in my heart I knew was over well before we actually called it quits. This confidence allowed me to choose and be passionate about a career that makes TOTAL sense to me yet many people still don't understand or want to understand it. This confidence allowed me to open my heart to the possibility of (re)meeting someone I barely knew in high school and falling in love again.

There are many wonderful things that I am proud to have accomplished and there are other life-defining moments that I wish would have turned out differently.  There are people who have come into my life who will be life long friends.  Although (very) difficult to admit, there are friends I have had to let go of... and friends who let go of me, the reason for which I may never know. I married my best friend, the most patient, loving, goofy, kind-hearted husband any girl could ask for, and had my first child. These two boys complete me in a way I could have never fathomed and light up my life every single day.

And of course, I've made many mistakes along the way. Who hasn't?

I am so grateful for all of the opportunities and life lessons that have molded me into the person I am today. They haven't all been easy, that's for sure! With all that I have, in the months approaching this milestone birthday, I still felt there is one thing left for me to do that would truly make me more well-rounded and complete. Part of this journey led my little family of 3 to Spain for a sabbatical, if you will. We wanted some real quality time together and the timing just worked out perfectly for us to be able to make it happen. We ate, drank, explored, reconnected with ourselves and a very dear friend, and put our heads together to figure out the next step in our lives and careers.

After a few weeks of serious introspection, I came back, once again, to this conclusion: I am extremely passionate about chiropractic. It changed my life and made me open my eyes to an entirely new perspective about health, wellness, and life in general.  I will forever be grateful for my first chiropractor and mentor who introduced me to chiropractic, philosophy groups and seminars, and the possibility to wake up every morning truly excited to go to work because it doesn't feel like work at all. When I'm 90 years old, I want to look back on my life and know that I went against the grain, that I left a legacy, that I made a difference.

The big 3-0 is a milestone for many people. Some fear it, some embrace it. I chose to embrace this next chapter in my life, I have so much to look forward to! After many discussions and careful thought and planning, I decided to put on my big girl pants and start my own practice, in my hometown, and share my passion and dedication to health, wellness, and chiropractic with as many families as I possibly can. I hope I can impact the lives of the people in my community the way my mentor did for me. I hope I can open up people's eyes to what's really going on in our country's healthcare system and how small changes can make such a huge difference in your health and your life.

Don't get me wrong... when I hear a 90's megamix on the radio or pass by Nova Drive,  I will always be taken back to fond memories of my younger glory days! But now it's time to focus on making an impact on my community, and I'm totally ready for the challenge :)

Yours in health,

Dr. Carly, mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, dreamer...

No comments:

Post a Comment