Monday, August 20, 2012

The Mom Club

While many of my life defining roles occurred more easily (wife, daughter, sister, friend), some took blood, sweat, and tears to achieve... college... graduate school... becoming a mother!! I waited 29 years to become a mom, and it will be my greatest achievement in my life! I did not realize it could be like this... the mom club, that is. It's the most rewarding, fulfilling club I've ever been a part of.  I always knew that I would be here one day, but you never really know what to expect until it happens to you.

I've always known deep down in my soul that I wanted be a mom. There's no way to know when the "right time" to become parents will be. There's no way to prepare for the journey you'll begin when the little stick (or four!) says positive.  What I do know is that I have always loved kids-- their free spirits, light-heartedness, resilience, outlook on life. I may have chosen my lifestyle and career because it is congruent with who I am, but being a mom is my calling, my life's purpose. 

I honestly didn't really feel like a mom until very recently. I don't think I fully grasped the enormity of becoming a parent right away.  That "4th trimester" turned my world upside down!  Finally, some of the initial exhaustion, hormonal, brand-new mom fog has lifted and I feel a little more like my myself, but with a different, cool perspective.  It's the precious moments when your baby is sleeping, or snuggling with you, or growing and learning right in front of your eyes that makes you realize, "Wow, look at him... I'm his MOM!" It brings me ridiculous joy. It's simply wonderful.

My membership in the mom club has ignited a spark within me to do everything I can to raise our son the best way we know how.  I'm sure some of the choices we've made so far have left somewhat of an impression on my friends and family... water birth, exclusively breast feeding (so far), co-sleeping, etc.   Whether that impression is positive or negative (or other), it is what it is! I am very proud and confident in our parenting thus far.  Please understand... by no means do I think I know everything! I am sure I will make many mistakes! If you want to know more about certain choices we've made, please ask! I don't mind! In fact I like talking about it with people who have open minds. With all the crazy stuff you see in the media, it's important to think outside of the box and stimulate your brain these days, otherwise we all might melt into a pile of reality tv/political mush!

I don't assume, judge, or criticize anyone, so I hope you won't either.

My health and wellness background motivates me to be a more informed parent. I take this information and help families create and achieve their health goals. How cool is that?!  I look forward to sharing my journey in motherhood and being a chiropractor with you!

Until next time... hasta luego!



PS- I 100% acknowledge my borderline addiction to posting pictures of my son online. When you are so in love with this little person, it's hard not to share the happiness! Plus, I have lots of friends and family who haven't met him yet. I appreciate my mommy friends who also share in this pastime :)



2 comments:

  1. Love it! People thought I was crazy for exclusively bf'ing for a year with strict (no wheat, dairy, eggs or peanuts!) diet but I could so I did :) I almost can't believe I'm about to do it all over again! And kudos for taking that big trip with the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for mommies! But more important, yay for these wonderful little people! It's an amazing journey - kudos to both of you for being educated, open-minded, & proud. That's one lucky little boy. XoXo

    ReplyDelete